Exhaust venting done incorrectly. Safety issues abound.
When inspecting homes the safety of the home comes first and foremost.
Furnace and Water Heater!
This furnace exhaust in the basement of a home built in 1910, was not installed properly.
The exhaust venting for the furnace was not installed correctly. This installation looked like a Ten year old did the install.
Take a look at these pictures that left me baffled that the occupants were not seriously injured or killed form carbon monoxide poisoning.
The slope on the exhaust was not correct. It was nearly at level. This slope needs 1/4" per foot. This requirement was not met.
This is where the exhaust fumes enter the chimney. It is critical that this is correct the keep all exhaust fumes in the chimney.
Take a look at the dislodged connection for the furnace and water heater.
The discharge flue is dislodged where it connects to the chimney.
This allows for the gasses from the furnace and water heater to spill into the home when the units are burning fuel.
This could have been a deadly situation for the occupants of the home.
No smoke detector or C/O detector in the basement either.
The old clean out for the chimney was wide open. This is supposed to have a door covering the opening.
The water heaters flue was not correctly installed. The installed simply cut a hole in the elbow and then tapped the opening and the tape was falling off and no longer was sealing the exhaust fumes inside the flue.
Potentially deadly situation.
This is a great poster child on why you get a fully certified home inspector for your home purchase.
This time the buyers and owners got lucky. I hope there will not be a next time.
This is why you always get a "Full Home Inspection" by a certified inspector. For the peace of mind.
Call Clint at 1-575-706-5586
Have a great day every one.